Introduction to PostGIS
Instructor: Cliff Patterson, PhD.
PostGIS is a spatial extension for PostgreSQL, a widely used relational database management system (RDBMS). PostGIS turns the RDBMS into a fully functional spatial database. With it, one can manage data access permissions, conduct basic and advanced spatial analysis, and automate various tasks through trigger functions. In this course, participants will learn about the structure and functional components of PostgreSQL and PostGIS. After this basic instruction, students will gain hands-on experience:
- writing basic SQL queries,
- managing user permissions in the database,
- loading and managing data within the database via QGIS,
- using various spatial functions to analyze vector and raster data,
- creating joins using spatial relationships,
- creating trigger functions that leverage spatial functions,
- using PGAdmin4 to manage the database,
- and more!
By the end of this 4-hour course, participants will have a solid understanding of PostGIS and know how to perform basic analysis within the database. This course is designed for those with minimal or no experience using spatial SQL.
This course is instructor-led and conducted via Zoom. The course content is 4 hours, but with breaks the total length is 5 hours. Students will receive background instruction before participating in 6 to 8 tutorials.
$199 CAD per person
Friday, August 26th, 2022 from 10am-3pm EDT
Friday, December 16th, 2022 from 10am-3pm EST